ARTsites 2016 is a year-long outdoor public art exhibit sponsored by the Howard County Arts Council (HCAC) that will take place at 12 sites throughout Howard County. The goal of ARTsites is to place sculpture throughout Howard County in order to engage the community and enhance public spaces.
Its intent is that the sculptures will create visual anchor points and increase community access to the arts. The multi-site exhibit, which is in its fifth year, also will serve as a visual celebration of HCAC’s 35-year history of fostering the arts and bringing the arts to community life.
The ARTsites panel selected the host sites and narrowed down the artwork submissions to 32 finalists. The individual sites then selected the work to be installed at their location from among those finalists.
The panel consisted of Randy Clay, Howard County Planning & Zoning; Liesel Fenner, Maryland State Arts Council; Mary Kay Sigaty, Howard County Council; and Coleen West, HCAC.
The 12 sites and sculptures selected for ARTsites 2016 are as follows. The sculptures will be installed in August 2016 and will remain in place until July 2017.
- “Granite Gator” by Craig Berube-Gray at Roger Carter Community Center
- “Dalliance” by Jeff Chyatte at Wincopin Lakeside Building, Kincade LLC
- “Manolis” by Paul Daniel at Howard County Public School System Administrative Offices
- “Blue Twist” by David Friedheim at North Laurel Community Center
- “The Poet Writes” by Cathrin Hoskinson at Gary J. Arthur Community Center
- “Silver Night” by Cathrin Hoskinson at Howard County Library System, Central Branch
- “Winter Moon” by Ray Katz at Aida Bistro, Corporate Office Properties Trust
- “Pear” by Jan Kirsh at the George Howard Building, Howard County Government
- “Patricia’s Carrots” by Jan Kirsh at the Howard County Tourism Welcome Center
- “Socratise” by Barry Sheehan at The Arc of Howard County
- “Feather Stone” by Bob Turan at Howard County General Hospital
- “Basalt Man” by Glenn Zweygardt at Howard Community College
To learn more about Howard County Arts Council exhibits and programs, visit hocoarts.org or call 410-313-ARTS (2787).