Home Archived Articles Monarch Global Academy Wins BGE ‘Wires Down’ Video Challenge

Monarch Global Academy Wins BGE ‘Wires Down’ Video Challenge

9
0

BGE presented Monarch Global Academy, in Laurel, with the BGE “Wires Down” Video Challenge Golden Pipes Award for the students’ vocal performance and musical rendition of the original Emmy Award-winning BGE “Wires Down” commercial.

Following a wire-safety program presented by BGE line men for Monarch’s student body, Brittany Jones, external affairs manager for BGE and a board member of Monarch Global Academy, presented a $3,000 check and trophy to Monarch Global Academy Principal Donna O’Shea.

“I am so proud of our students and teachers who put so much hard work into producing this award-winning video,” said O’Shea. “This generous prize will be used to purchase musical instruments for the school, and this beautiful trophy is our new school’s first trophy, and it will be proudly displayed.”

Also in attendance were Associate Superintendent of Anne Arundel County Public Schools Catherine Herbert, and representing Anne Arundel County Councilman Andrew Pruski was Veronica Jagoe, who presented a proclamation from the county council recognizing Monarch. Vice President of Administrative Services and Special Projects Claire Turberville represented The Children’s Guild, which operates the school.

“The safety of our customers, our employees and their families is a top priority at BGE, and we applaud the students and teachers at Monarch Global Academy for participating in the third annual BGE ‘Wires Down’ Video Challenge and taking home the best in vocal awards, the Golden Pipes Award,” said Stephen Woerner, president and chief operating officer for BGE.

“The original ‘Wires Down’ commercial was an important part of BGE’s initiative to educate customers on the dangers associated with downed power lines,” said Woerner, “especially children who may be unaware of the safety hazards, and we are excited to see these students embracing, understanding and sharing the importance of electric safety.”