Numerous local companies and several individuals were honored at the recently-held NAIOP Maryland 2012 Awards of Excellence program, which was held at the Hyatt Regency Baltimore. More than 375 professionals attended the event, which recognized winners in 34 categories for excellence in the design, development, marketing and leasing of commercial office buildings and retail projects in metropolitan Baltimore.
NAIOP Maryland is the local chapter of the National Association of Industrial and Office Properties. The bi-annual Awards of Excellence program is open to members with an active membership of NAIOP Maryland that have worked on projects situated within Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Carroll, Cecil, Harford and Howard counties, as well as Baltimore City.
Of note at the event was Rand Griffin, the recently retired as CEO of Corporate Office Properties Trust (COPT), receiving the chapter’s Lifetime Achievement Award.
Winners/projects from within The Business Monthly’s market area include the following.
• Historical Renovation — Dome Restoration, Coakley & Williams Construction
• Best Interior — Public/Common Areas; Emerson One, Emerson Holdings
• Best Interior — Tenant Fit-Out; Colfax, Maple Lawn, St. John Properties
• Best LEED Interior — Tenant Fit-Out; The National Business Park (NBP) 300, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, COPT
• Best LEED Office; NBP 324, U.S. Army Corp of Engineers, COPT
• Best Mid-Rise Office; Water’s Edge Building IV, Manekin LLC
• Best Mixed-Use Suburban; Maple Lawn, St. John Properties
• Best Office Park; The National Business Park, COPT
• Best Office Rehab; George Howard Building, Garver Development Group
• Best Social Impact; 9/11 Memorial of Maryland, Rand Griffin, COPT
• Brokerage Award; Jim Lighthizer, Chesapeake Real Estate Group
• F. Patrick Hughes Legislative Award; Tom Pilon, St. John Properties
• Lifetime Achievement Award; Rand Griffin, COPT
“Rand Griffin was the overwhelming choice to receive our Lifetime Achievement Award based on his impressive list of accomplishments throughout his 19-year real estate career with Constellation Real Estate Group and Corporate Office Properties Trust,” said NAIOP-Maryland President Dianna Wilhelm. “In addition to helping create one of the most successful real estate investment trusts in the country, he also established a culture of community service within his organizations and volunteered his time selflessly for worthwhile causes.”